Friday, April 10, 2009

Ear to ear baby!

From what I heard on the news, we are currently building a debt of $1.3Trillion per year. So within 10 years, we will have increased our debt to over $13T. Again, thats $13,000,000,000,000! But currently, with the bailout of our biggest banks and auto companies, we seem to be an $11,000,000,000,000 debt. I believe this is looking ahead to all the investments we WILL soon to make with the stimulus plan and whatnot, but that's a lot of money. The estimated population in the United States is 30,000,000, so that means each citizen's share of the debt comes to approx $360,000. Wow... so do we really need to be under such a deficit for an ill-managed corporation? Do we really need to pay for the consequences of a corporate mishap?

Making $500 a week, and living with my parents, I don't see much of my money going out of pocket. I pay for my car, food... and that's about it. The rest of it sits in the bank or in my wallet for my own spending. Even if you're making well over a million dollars right now, could you really sit back and have a smile from ear to ear?

Our country is in a major jam right now (Understanding the Crisis). I'm sure anyone knows this, and everyone can say that they are affected by it one way or another. I am affected by it because my father has been in the auto business ever since I moved to the United States, over 15 years ago. I know its affecting others too because, my father wasn't alone at his company. He told me a few months ago, about a manager with 20+ years experience was let go. Driving to and from work I pass by some corporate buildings, some insurance company, I think it was New Jersey Insurance Company, or whatever. I've been driving past that place for the last two years, and finally I've noticed this week that the building has been vacant. The lights were on inside today, and looking in, there was nothing left. Not a single cabinet, or a single desk. Maybe they are relocating to a bigger, better facility. Or maybe, in lieu of the economy, the company had to downsize this branch and merge with another, which means that up to even 100 people could have lost their jobs, and unemployed, and unable to support the family. A manager with 20+ years experience, or a recently hired secretary, to a non-paid intern could have lost their jobs. So what chance does a kid straight outta college have? Who's going to give the college grad a break?

I think in such a time, it is crucial to recruit as many "willing" and "able" bodies. Maybe Goldman Sachs should lower their standards, maybe Citi could lower their expectations and keep a few more employees around. Whatever the method, I think this is the time for students to step up. It's time to put in the effort to revive what's left of this country. For those who are currently employed to take a salary cut, and for those expected to work for a top banking firm, to work for a tier 2 firm... that's what we need from everyone. A little less greed, and a little more teamwork. Maybe the richest 1% will only posess 40% of the nation's wealth, rather than the current 50%. Maybe the money will trickle down to the smaller companies, who will flourish into major corporations and help others florish as well.

The bottom line is, something needs to change. I believe the first step to do so, is to change ourselves. Maybe I don't need that $2000 bag. Maybe I won't buy that gas guzzler. I don't know, I mean, no body has the right answer... otherwise, this problem, wouldn't be much of a problem. But I realized after getting paid today, I don't have much of a reason to smile. I mean, sure, I can afford to buy a few things, but is that really helping? Is it really helping me? Hmmm, I guess this means I need to ask for a raise... that'll probably make me smile. Ear to ear baby! Ear to ear...

No comments:

Post a Comment