Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Pursuit



After that comment from "Scrub" about the film Pursuit of Happyness, I was tempted to look up the ending of the movie on Youtube. I've seen the movie before, but at a time in my life where, frankly, it didn't mean anything to me. I was in high-school and sadly, I didn't have any aspirations, or big goals in my life, just finish high-school and begin the next level of education.

After watching the movie's emotional ending, I couldn't help but watch more. I started going through all of the related clips. Then I came across the one above. Whether or not Chris Gardner actually said that to his son, or it's just something Hollywood conjured up to get a message across in this movie, I'll probably never know. However, the message is there; it's real, and it's certainly something to think about.
"Don't ever let somebody tell you, you can't to something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period."
So when I watched this movie, I didn't think much of it. I just thought of it as some guy that was going through some difficulties in his life, and he finally got a break. But, I guess I really have matured over the last 3 years, because thinking about that just makes me want to punch myself in the face. This guy didn't just get a break, he didn't just sit around begging others for help, he took the initiative and did what he needed to do for his child and himself. He was proactive and worked his ass off! And now he's living his life the way he should. Luck has nothing to do with the success of Chris Gardner.

I envy anyone who can consistently live with that mentality. The mentality; "if you want something, go get it. Period." I mean, if I want something, I work for it, but I can only go to a certain point. I've wanted/needed a new laptop for the past 2 years, and I do occasionally bust my ass here at work, vying for sales commission in order to feed the piggy bank. But apparently, I don't have that drive. Because I've been working for 2 years, and I still don't have enough for a laptop. Actually... maybe this simply illustrates my irresponsible spending habits, but regardless, If I had the motivation to get what I wanted, I'd be able to get the laptop and still be able to spend money on whatever I wanted.

I need that motivation to strive for the next level. To strive for success. Everybody has dreams and aspirations to do something or become someone. I don't dream of becoming the richest man on Earth, or the most significant figure in the world; I just want to write. My dream is to write for Engadget. Some may find this stupid, and immature for wanting to write about toys. Sure, I won't be making six-figures, and I probably won't be living in the biggest house in the neighborhood, but I will be doing something I love, and no matter what anybody says to me, they can't take that away from me. "Do something you love, and you won't have to work a day in your life." That's a little more endearing to me than making six-figures... So, it's time for me to step up and protect my dream[s]. To do whatever it takes to reach my goal[s]. It's never too late or too early for The Pursuit.


2 comments:

  1. aw i love this movie and that is one of my favorite quotes from the movie. now i wanna go watch it now haha. but i agree, it's definitely very VERY difficult to consistently have that drive. and it's easier to lose sight of your dreams and goals when they seem unreachable. but don't give up, never! you always have interesting posts :) keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl6yilkU1LI

    ReplyDelete