Monday, April 6, 2009

what a wonderful world

Eva Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996)

There's something about the way she sings this song that makes me just stop everything and watch her sing. Simply listening to her singing does not do justice, her body language, and expressions speak volume. This wasn't her final live performance, but her last performance before her death was this exact song "What a Wonderful World."


I see trees that are green, red roses too
I watch them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more, than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, ohh what a wonderful world

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of the people passing by
I see friends shaking hands, saying, "how do you do?"
But they're really saying, "I love you"

Did she really mean it? Did she truly believe that this world was such a wonderful place? I believe she did mean it. I like to believe that there are people out there that are living their lives to the fullest. Even near the end of their lives, whether they are binded by the deathly grip of cancer, or simply at the end of their cycle, they never took this world for granted. Watched the flowers bloom for you and me, and told themselves that they wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'll admit, when I first came across this video, I almost just pressed the 'Back' button. First of all, she kinda looked creepy in the beginning, and I just thought, what could this fragile-looking woman possibly do here? Then about 30seconds in, my heart sank. Just listening to her voice, her eyes looking into the audience, singing with her soul. I love it.

Things like this really pick me up. I had a pretty crummy day today. Woke up to a terribly gloomy day. I guess I fell asleep with no shirt on, so when I woke up, it was kind of cold, and my throat hurt (not cool). Tried calling my gf to make sure she woke up on time to get ready for class and stuff. And I don't know, but for some reason, this morning I just felt really down. After I got ready, I had my 30minute commute to get to school in the heavy rain. Sat through my first class. My gf called while I was in class, so I couldnt pick up, which made me feel really bad. Then I get to CALC (frking HATE calc), and I get my test back. 49%. LOL. I need to really get myself together now. But anyways, I just needed a really good pick-me-up all day today, and nothing really hit the spot until this.

It's really been hard to keep that "never give up" mentality these days. Maybe I'm just going through a quarter-life-crisis lol. That time in your life where it's time to define yourself. Who/what is Alex Kang?

I remember when I was all about video games, basketball, music and driving my car. Well, that's during the semester. During break, it was about staying up late, game-planning at Dunkin Donuts till the morning sometimes. Playing video games, card games, beer pong, drinking games and all that silly stuff. The only times I was ever down was when I was lonely, and that was solved by simply driving to the basketball court and meeting the guys I played ball with. Honestly, there wasn't much that I needed to make me happy again. I don't know what it is I need these days. Basketball doesnt do it. Driving around doesnt do it. Meeting people... kinda does it, but its a very short-term thing.

Who am I now? What defines me? What are my interests? What are my hobbies? What are my goals? My asperations? What do I wake up in the morning for? Does Alex Kang really wake up to go to work at Blinglights? Does Alex wake up every morning to further himself at BCC? What have I become...?

I hope one day (soon) I can find the answers to these questions. I hope one day I can learn to appreciate the things in life. I hope one day I can watch the flowers bloom, watch the colors of the rainbow and just soak it all in and Love Life. One day I hope to be able to say "what a wonderful world" and really mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment