Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Hate You [?]

There are those rare occasions where the break-up(in a relationship) leads to a continuing and lasting friendship. However a break-up can lead to drama and animosity between two people, in this case they will often tell each other that they "Hate" one another. But is Hate the right word to use when two people truly abhor one another? People like to think that the opposite of Love is Hate, but wake up people... because it's not! Whether you just claim to simply dislike someone, or belittle them with a melange of sesquipedalian disparagement, it simply doesn't do justice.

Are you really going to tell me that sitting there forlorn and telling your girlfriends and your best buds how much you hate your ex-significant-other really illustrates your bitterness for that person? I have not been in too many relationships so I can't tell you how I handled my break-ups, but I can say that I would have made it a big deal and told everyone how much abhorrence I had for the one that broke up with me. I would explain to my friends how much I HATED her and how much the relationship sucked...

If I was as spoony and sophomoric as people think I am... but I know the difference between Love and Hate. Love is adoring someone. Love is putting her ahead of myself and my needs. Hate is discontent. How dissatisfied I am/was with the relationship- Hate and Love are not true antonyms of each other. Simply hating someone only turns into a sempiternal illusion that we cannot escape. Hate just ends up being the next stage of Love. Once you're out of love, it becomes irrelevant. However, if you are stuck in that stage of Hate, then it's just an extension of Love. Another inescapable fate. Hate is the absolute bankruptcy of love, but not the opposite of love. So then it can be said that the true antonym for Love is INDIFFERENCE.

Indifferent; Marked by no special liking or disliking of something, marked by lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern. That is the truly the opposite of Love. If I disliked someone, I wouldn't give him/her a second of my time. I wouldn't sit around looking forlorn hoping to open up to someone. I don't care if you're an award-winning raconteur, writing hate letters or telling friends how much hatred you have for her would mean victory for her. BUT, show her that you're indifferent, that you are not concerned about her, that she lacks any interesting characteristics, and you will have the lachrymose ending you so craved from her (not suggesting your goal be seeking schadenfreude). Maybe she will try to twist that knife in your back and tease you a little, or tell her friends to relay a message to you about how she might be regretting the break-up. But stay focused; show absolute disinterest in her and whatever she has to say. Display your ennui towards every possible action she might take, and it will break her heart.

So stop wasting your time thinking about how much you hate him/her, utilize your gift for vituperation against something/someone useful. Set off on a long peregrination and discover a new love.


5 comments:

  1. great blog ... it was worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational. People really need to think before they speak because hate is a really strong word and it can lead to serious consequences. It not only injures the feelings of others but also your own health. When you spend your time thinking about how much you hate someone, you are actually stressing yourself out.

    Good job. Another good blog. What else is coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember when we talked about this. hate vs indifference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're absolutely right this does apply to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think this may be better than xanga..
    love/hate relationships. a good thing?

    ReplyDelete